In 1919 members of the Church of Christ in Jennings, Louisiana purchased from the Church of the Brethren the lot and small building on the northwest corner of Fourth and State Streets. In 1940 the building was enlarged into the present structure with major renovations made until 1970.
Because there was no room on the property for further expansion, three acres were purchased on North Cutting Avenue near Interstate 10. The first Sunday service in the new building was held the morning of January 25, 1981.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God."
Several years later the auditorium was updated and the facilities were enlarged with the addition of the "Family Life Center" with a commercial kitchen, large dining/meeting room, restrooms with showers, and a full sized gymnasium. The Family Life Center can be rented out by members of the community for a fee with a security deposit. Some restrictions may apply.
Many years ago the church adopted as her motto "CHRIST MEETS EVERY NEED". Through the years He has done just that in the many outreaches this congregation has provided.
In 1946 the church began a radio ministry over KVOL, Lafayette, LA, until 1947 when the KSIG radio station in Crowley became available. In 1951 the Jennings station began broadcasting and the church had its Sunday morning program on KJEF. Today "Words of Life" can be heard on KAJN radio on Saturday evenings at 8:30 pm.
In 1954 the church began a youth camp named "Christian Youth Encampment" in Chicot State Park, along with cooperation from other congregations in Louisiana and Texas. In 1957 property in DeRidder was purchased, named Ingallwood Park, and the camp began operating there in 1958 where the work continues each summer.
Jennings Church of Christ
1812 N. Cutting Avenue
Jennings, LA 70546
Office: (337) 824-2527
All rights reserved